I am from Colombia and did a general surgery residency at San Rafael Clinic in Bogota (1999 to 2003), affiliated with Nueva Granada Military University. During my years of residency in general surgery, I began working to achieve greater excellence in the surgical field.
After my residency in General Surgery, I became an attending surgeon working in different hospitals. I did multiple presentations at national and international surgical conferences, including multiple video presentations on innovations in laparoscopic surgery, and gained more than 10 years of experience in the field.
All these video and teaching presentations gave me the major opportunity to present a poster for the most prestigious laparoscopic surgical association in the world, SAGES (Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons), in Las Vegas. Consequently, my work was the winner of a SAGES International Traveling Fellowship Award.
After that, I had the privilege to continue my work at Cleveland Clinic Florida as a research fellow with Dr. Raul Rosenthal, one of the most internationally recognized bariatric surgeons. During this period, I performed multiples presentations and published several papers about laparoscopic and bariatric surgery. Two years later, I got an offer from New York Hospital Medical Center of Queens, affiliated with Weill Cornell Medical College, for my general surgery residency here in the United States.
In recognition of my outstanding research performance and contributions to the surgical field, I was awarded a highly competitive clinical fellowship in bariatric and minimally invasive surgery at the Cleveland Clinic in Weston, Florida. Cleveland Clinic is ranked as 4th in the country by U.S. News & World Report’s “2014-2015 Best Hospitals.”
All of these – along with several important awards, videos on SAGES TV, SAGES University, and in the Video Library from the American College of Surgeons to educate other surgeons – are a sample of all the extraordinary research and clinical work that I have done to reach the highest level of excellence in my field.
- Cleveland Clinic Florida, Weston, FL July 2014 to June 1015.
Clinical Fellow Bariatric Surgery and Minimally Invasive Surgery.
- New York Hospital Medical Center of Queens, affiliated with Weill Medical College of Cornell University, Flushing, NY 2009-2014.
General Surgery Residency, July 2009- June 2014.
- Cleveland Clinic Florida, Weston, FL July 2007- June 2009.
Research Fellow in Bariatric Surgery/ Minimally Invasive Surgery.
- University Hospital San Rafael Clinic, affiliated with Military University Nueva Granada, Bogota, Colombia.
General Surgeon, February 2003.
- University of Cartagena, Cartagena, Colombia.
Doctor of Medicine, June 1994.
- Jameson L. Chassin Golden Apple Award for Excellent in Teaching 2013
New York Hospital Queens Surgery Department
- Outstanding Achievement in Research 2013
Theresa & Eugene M. Lang Center for Research & Education
- SAGES International Traveling Fellowship Award 2007
Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons
- Kaplan Medical Honor Society 2007
Kaplan Medical Institute
MEMBERSHIP AND HONORARY / PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES:
- American College of Surgeons (ACS)
- Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopy Surgeons (SAGES)
- Society of Robotic Surgery (SRS)
- Latin American Society of Endoscopy Surgeons (ALACE)
- Colombian Association of Surgery